Wednesday 14 April 2010

Losing situational awareness.

In this blog post "Zero Sec Happened" I describe what happened in game while I was trying to escape zero sec in a Battleship.  However outside the game something else was happening, my world contracted for a short while in a dramatic way.

When I was set upon by the dastardly Frigates and others my concentration bubble was only me and the computer screen, I lost all awareness of the people around me, the sounds, the smells.  I remember nothing except the battle.

Later that evening I subsequently received some grief from the GF as I had apparently totally ignored her goodbye as she left for work while I was zoned into the game and zoned out of everything else.

When the battle was over I imagine it was like emerging from the ocean depths to sit on the stern of the dive boat and once again experience the world, from horizon to horizon.

Every once in a while I'm reminded the Internet can really be another genuine world, albeit optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment