This month's topic comes to us from @Tetraetc - "Tetra's EVE Blog" - who asks: "Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? Imagine a Null Sec where anyone could build outposts, wherever. Would the reduction of the Alliance game mechanic, and the removal of the sovereignty game mechanics (and the modifcation of it from Alliance level to Corp level for that matter) force more PVP into Null sec, or would giant power blocs like the NC still form themselves?"
It's about time I jump aboard the band wagon and attempt a serious and thought out response to the recent Blog Banter.
Corporations like clumping into Alliances, Alliances like these clumps as it helps their "winning" chances. Alliances clump with Alliances into power blocs, these power blocs steamroll the rest of the Eve population for a time, but nobody stays on top forever.
Clumps eventually get broken up for a variety of reasons, politics, boredom, game changes etc etc.
Our recent experience with Pandemic Legion (PL) has shown me that Jump Bridges (JB) are over powered and should have their effectiveness reduced. I would like to see JB's only able to move hull sizes above Battleship, everything Battleship and below has to go the long way.
Would this reduce the huge power blocs? Probably not but it would give the others a chance to attack those fleets having to jump through many gates to arrive at the destination. It would reduce the power projection possibilities that are currently available which may, over time, help re-distribute the political map.
Sovereignty (SOV) is a tough one for smaller Alliances. For example we have tried to raise SOV several times only to have a PL smack down fleet which has dozens of supercaps arrive, destroy our stuff, take the station and leave. Sometimes in the time it takes me to perform a bio break!
So what is the fault here? The large power blocs at the moment or the SOV mechanics? I think both but I feel a potential fix to the SOV mechanics could actually be made by reducing the ease these blocs can project their force.
So to answer the first part of the question, yes PVP is currently limited but this may be caused by other factors than SOV and the Alliance structure.
Making it more expensive for Alliances to hold larger space, by charging an exponentially larger amount for each SOV item doesn't really work as all I'd do is split the Alliance up, take the same places but now for much less ISK and create "blue" agreements with the other segments thus tying it all together.
Alliances like to clump and they like to win!
I cannot see how adding or changing the SOV mechanic to Corporation level rather than Alliance level will matter. The Corporations are just a projection of the Alliance and any non-Alliance Corporation who raised a SOV structure would be smashed by Out Of Game (OOG) timers and the previously mentioned power blocs.
The Role Playing (RP) aspect of this I don't have an opinion on as I've never RP'd and I'm not sure I know anybody in game who does.
To conclude, I believe if you want more PVP then a reduction to the ease of power projection would be required which may then increase null sec traffic which should then improve combat possibilities.
Or maybe not, Eve Online players are a resourceful bunch.
- CrazyKinux's Musing: EVE Blog Banter #25: And by Alliance you mean.....?
- BB25 What sov changes will come? | A Mule In EvE
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: Alliances and Sovereignty
- Blog Banter 25: Nerfing Nulsec « OMG! You're a Chick?!
- Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? | Nitpickin's
- Blog Banter #25: Alliance and Sovereignty Limiting PvP in 0.0? | Sarnel Binora's Blog
- Blog Banter #25 - Mad Haberdashers
- Alliances and sovereignty | Eve Online Focus
- ...Shall we not Revenge?: BB 25: What if the Alliance vanished?
- Blog Banter: Alliances and Sov
- EVEOGANDA: BB25: Sov 'n Go!
- » TBG:EBB#25 – Alliances and Sovereignty To Boldly Go
- Freebooted: BB25: Leviathans of the Deep
- Wrong Game Tetra ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- EVE Blog Banter #25 – Human nature what art thou? | Way of the Gun
- Who cares about Sov? - Hands Off, My Loots! ~ well sorta like an entry! :p
- The 25th EVE Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty - The Phoenix Diaries
- Achernar: The space commute
- Wandering the Void…my EvE musings. – Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #25: How To Break EvE. « Prano's Journey
- Captain Serenity: Blog Banter #25 - Crappy mechanics
- Helicity Boson » Blog Banter #25 Nullsec and sov.
- BB #25 – “With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth?”
- Boom! Hull-Shot?: It's the End of the Eve as We Know It
- sered's lives: EVE Blog Banter #25 - Size does matter
- 25th EVE BB – Medieval Solutions to Spaceship Problems | Inventions of a New Eden Industrialist
- Eve Blog Banter #25: “Have Alliances and Sov Limited PvP and RP in 0.0?” « Align Outbound
- Banter 25: Sovereignty, Alliances and Power Blocs | TheElitist
- Blog Banter 25 – But I just left all that! « A Scientist's Life in Eve
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- >>>Vigil Ant: Alliances and SOV by Munny's eyes.
- Latro's Bunker: Blog Banter 25 -Nullsec and Sov
- A "CareBears" Journey » Blog Banner #25: Alliances and Sovereignty, and their affect on PVP and RP
- Blog Banter #25 – Unstoppable « Roc's Ramblings
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- EVE Blog Banter on PVP in Null Sec « Evehermit's Blog
- Sleepless in Space: Blog Banter #25: Moar Low Sec!
- Escape Velocity: BB#25: The Condition of Mere Nature
- Imagine a Null Sec…. « the hydrostatic capsule
- Blastrad tales » Coagulation
- Yosagi Yojimbo - Gallente Exile: EVE Blog Banter #25: And By Alliance You Mean Blob?
- More to come...