Thursday 24 October 2019

Your Kill Right was Used!

One of my favourite phrases in Eve Online.

However, first, the back story.

It was a comfortable Wednesday, the wind was still from the south east, the humidity was low, the grass is green from sporadic rain, and my neighbours were not trying to teach me the finer arts of Cold Chisel.

In Eve Online I often use a Leopard to zoom around in.  If you're not familiar with the Leopard it's a relatively expensive shuttle that warps quite quickly, but has very low hit points and is easy to destroy.  As I always use manual flying with the Leopard they couldn't target it at a gate, but it, like most low hit point ships, has a weakness.

Smart Bombs.

I knew eventually I'd lose the Leopard, as they're a high priority target for dirt bags with few resources except time.

I'd visited Jita that day to check on some items, and upon leaving it happened.

When I'm warping, jumping, warping, jumping, etc, I go into a bit of a trance and it took me a few moments to realise I'd not left the system when I should have.  Local was still spewing posts from pilots doing fire sales, promising to give ISK if you follow their bio, or not give ISK if you follow their bio, and the usual manifesto that certain individuals seem to share in trade hubs.

Why do I have a red timer?

I was zoomed out a bit, and shuttles are small, then realised I wasn't in a shuttle anymore.

I was in my pod.

I'd been smart bombed by someone near my out gate, he'd direction scanned me and activated the smart bomb at the correct time, destroying my ship.

Very soon afterwards CONCORD took a close and personal interest in him.

Well then...

Warped off somewhere, and then back to Jita 4-4 and docked up again.  The same place I was only a few minutes before.

Checked the notifications in my bottom right hand corner, found the kill mail, discovered I had a bounty, and looked at the other pertinent information.

First thing I needed was a new ship, but as I knew the Leopard was always a target, I chose something else, fitted it appropriately, and left the station.

On my way out of the system, this time using a dog legged route to avoid the smart bomber just in case he was going to try for a "two for one" deal, I realised I'd have kill rights against that guy.

Left the system, activated the kill right and made it accessible for everyone, and set the ISK amount at one hundred and fifty million ISK.  That would be approximately my break even amount for that loss.  The ISK wasn't the real issue, but as I'm old, it's the principle of the thing.

My safe assumption was the attacking pilot was an Alpha, who now wouldn't login for at least thirty days, or even just be bio massed and that account slot recycled, as the training requirements for such a basic attack are low.

Then I effectively forgot about it.

However the following morning, as I'm doing my daily mission, I see a pop up in notifications, "Your kill right was used".

Really?  Can it be?

Yup!

He must have undocked again much later on, in the same type of ship, with the same fittings, and a pilot called Arch Opir in a rail gun fit Ferox, spent one hundred and fifty million ISK to activate the kill right and blew him to hell!

Sometimes I love Eve Online.

No comments:

Post a Comment